Pages

Saturday 11 October 2014

Happy Thanksgiving! Brining a turkey, how to do it and does it work?

I always look forward to Thanksgiving; I love the food, the fall weather, leaves falling from trees and the coziness this time of year brings.  Most of all, I love the being in the kitchen cooking comforting food like Thanksgiving turkey dinner.

For the last number of years, I've soaked my turkey in a brine of water, salt, sugar and other aromatics prior to roasting it.  I've found that preparing my turkey this way ensures it comes out of the oven gorgeously juicy, moist and flavourful.  Most people have experienced a turkey so dry it conjures up images of the Griswold's Turkey in "National Lampoons Christmas Vacation", well brining your turkey prevents that from happening.

The first year I attempted to brine a turkey, I remember feeling a little intimidated by the whole process.  Fearing I would somehow irreversibly damage the centrepiece of the meal and effectively ruin Thanksgiving dinner. Despite my fears, I gave it a try and was so impressed with the result, I've become a complete convert!  Not to mention, the process of making a brine isn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.  The most difficult part is finding a container big enough to fit the turkey/brine in.  If you're able to find a medium sized plastic garbage pale with a snug fitting lid, that works beautifully.  This way, you store the container outside where it will stay cold (if you live in a cool climate) and the lid prevents any animals from trying to sample your turkey.  Alternatively, some grocery stores now sell plastic brining bags which can be stored directly in the refrigerator. However, I find that these tend to leak and it's difficult to fit the aromatics in with the turkey.


Here are the ingredients needed to brine roughly a 15lb bird (but don't get too concerned if your turkey is a little bigger or smaller - as long at the turkey is submerged in a salty and sugary liquid it will be fine).

6 to 8 litres of water (1 1/2 to 2 gallons)
1/2 cup of kosher salt
1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 cinnamon sticks (bruised a little with a rolling pin to release the flavour)
2 star anise
small handful of coriander seeds
small handful of dried oregano
large bunch of fresh herbs (whatever you have access to like rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano etc)
1 yellow onion cut into quarters
3 to 4 celery stalks roughly cut into large pieces
2 to 3 carrots roughly cut into large pieces
2 to 4 small mandarin oranges cut in half

Start by adding salt and sugar to the container, then pour the water in while stirring to dissolve.  Be careful of filling the container with too much liquid; when you add the turkey the liquid it could spill over.  I find filling the container up to the halfway mark is a good rule of thumb; you can always add more water once the turkey's in.  Add the remaining aromatics and the turkey to the container, pushing the turkey down into the liquid ensuring water gets into the cavity.  Cover the container with a lid and leave to steep for 2 to 3 days.  Also, you could brine a frozen turkey leaving it to sit for an additional day or two in order to fully thaw.  After the turkey has sufficiently soaked, remove the turkey from the brine and place in a roasting tin to drain for a few hours. Then continue on with your usual turkey preparations such as slathering your turkey in herb butter or olive oil, then roast and enjoy your super juicy and flavourful bird!  




Happy Thanksgiving!





3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been brining my birds ever since you fed me my first brined turkey years ago. I believe there was Valencia oranges in the brine, and it was DELICIOUS! I'm a complete convert and will now brine any bird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so great to hear Candace!!!! It's definitely the way to go in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I look forward to reading your thoughts and feedback. Take care.